The success of your online store comes down to quick and reliable order delivery. Before you can go live, you first will have to configure your chosen shipment methods. Otherwise, shopping will be useless to your customers!
Creating a shipping method
Navigate to GENERAL > Settings > Shipping methods in the left menu of the back office.
Add a shipping method by clicking green plus icon in the navigation at the top of the screen. A pop-up window opens, where your can enter a Title. This is the name of the shipping method in question, which will be shown to your customers as a shipping option, such as Regular mail, Courier service, FedEx etc., when they pay for their order.
- After creating a shipping method you will be taken to its edit page, where you can configure the following options:
Select which kind of shipping method applies here. Choose from the following options:
- Standard - The normal shipping methods, such as parcel services and mail delivered to a physical mailbox.
- Cash on delivery - Use this option when you allow your customers to pay for their orders upon delivery (COD, this option is primarily used in countries such as Germany).
- Pickup in store - You may provide this option if you have a physical store where customers can pickup orders. If you select this option, check whether you have entered the pickup address through GENERAL > Settings > General > Company in the left menu of the back office, it will be included in your invoices. Also list your physical address (preferably linked to Google Maps directions) in the contact details of your online store.
Only in back office
When you manually create an order in the back office through SALES > Orders, you will have to enter shipping costs. These may vary from the rates associated with the shipping methods you provide. By ticking this check box, customers placing an order will not see this, only you or your staff members.
Select the appropriate VAT rate here. Do you not see a VAT rate listed in the drop-down menu? If so, create it by navigating to GENERAL > Settings > Country settings > Taxes in the left menu of the back office.
Delivery costs associated with COD is a scenario that primarily applies to German markets. Fill this field only when you have chosen COD as your shipping method. Enter the additional costs you will charge for allowing your customers to pay upon delivery.
These delivery costs are added to the shipping costs set with weights. For example, you want to charge your customers €5 for paying upon delivery. Then enter the standard shipping costs with in the Weights section and 5 in the Delivery costs field.
For free above
Enter the amount (including VAT) here, from which you will not charge shipping costs.
- Title Dutch/English - Enter the name of the shipping method here, it will displayed as an option to the customers of your online store.
- Description - Provide a description of the shipping method in question here, it will used to inform your customers. The description will be displayed next to the associated shipping method in the checkout area of your online store.
When you have completed all required fields in the General tab, click Save at the right at the bottom of the screen to proceed with configuring the countries where you will deliver and associated shipping costs.
Now add the countries where your chosen shipping methods may be used and you will accept orders from. Click the Countries tab at the right at the top of the screen. An overview with a variety of countries will appear, each one preceded by a check box. Tick the countries you want to send to one-by-one. Do you charge different shipping costs per individual country? If so, you will have to create them separately. When you have finished, click Save at the right at the bottom of the screen.
Configuring shipping costs
The final part is configuring shipping costs. These depend on the total weight of a shipment. Navigate to the Weight tab at the right at the top of the screen to configure costs. Even when you do not charge shipping costs, you will have to verify these data. By default, your online store contains one single weight class, ranging from 0 - 1,000 with € 0 shipping costs.
Check if weights entered fit within the weight class. If this is not the case, you will have to create an additional class, otherwise the products involved cannot be sent and thus not ordered.
Creating a weight class
Is the default weight class of 0 - 1000 not sufficient for your product range, or do you want to use several weight classes with different shipping costs? If so, proceed with the steps listed below:
- Navigate to GENERAL > Settings > Country settings > Shipping methods.
- You will now be presented with an overview of your chosen shipping methods. Click the pencil icon to the far right of a given shipping method and select the Weights tab in the following page. You will now see the default weight class and the shipping costs that apply (modified or not).
- Click the green plus icon in the navigation at the top of the screen to create a new weight class. A pop-up window will appear, where you can enter the minimum (Weight from - starting at 0) and maximum (Weight up to - in grams or kilos), as well as the shipping costs (including VAT) you will charge your customers. Click Save to add the new weight class.